Tuesday, May 1, 2007

I'm looking California....and feeling Minnesota

How true do the Soundgarden lyrics ring right now? I am at a restaurant just in Minnesota right now. A place called Taco John's. They have what they like to call West-Mex. I kid you not. They have a monkey called Whiplash as their mascot that is apparently in their tv commercials. I can't make this stuff up. And they give you wireless internet to boot.

I have obviously been doing quite a bit of driving the last two days since I was in Billings, Montana. I have done quite a bit of sightseeing. I will definitely get pics up when I get a chance. I started yesterday morning and went to Little Bighorn and saw Custer's Last Stand in Montana. Then I was at Devil's Tower in Wyoming. Then I drove into South Dakota and the Black Hills where I visited Deadwood and Wild Bill & Calamity Jane's graves. I finished yesterday at Mt. Rushmore and saw all the faces. I got there at the right time as the sun was setting. It was also the first night that they lit up Mt. Rushmore with lights. Apparently they do it for two hours every night during their in-season. This morning I was at the Minuteman Missile Historic site where I walked into an underground launch control site behind an 8 ton concrete door. We also saw an actual missile silo with a disarmed nuclear missile in it. That was probably the coolest thing I've done so far. I then drove through the Badlands National Park and got to see some cool landscape. So much that I've done, I can't really go into detail about each thing I did. All were very cool. I probably enjoyed the Missile site first, then Mt. Rushmore, then Little Bighorn if I had to rank them. I am trying to make it to Chicago by tomorrow night, where I'll stay for the night. The next day, Thursday, I'll spend a couple hours around downtown Chicago before I head for a three hour drive to Indy and my final destination. I'll keep you all updated on my progress.

Talk to you later,

Rob

2 comments:

sarah fecteau said...

Sounds like fun, Rob. I really liked Mt. Rushmore. You never really get the magnitude of it until you are there in person. (I went there in HS with Kerri.) I bet it was beautiful at sunset. Can't wait to see your pics.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the sights of South Dakota! I grew up about 20 minutes from Mt. Rushmore and still never tire of seeing it lit up at night. And I was laughing when you said you went to Taco John's. Gotta love their potato oles. Glad to hear your trip went well, and I wish you luck in Indy.

Leslie (in Tampa)